Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Produce Box–Week 1–Green Beans (and Memories)

We have purchased a 10-week organic produce box through a local farm in Clayton.  We get 10 pounds of produce, delivered to our front door, for 10 weeks.  You can’t beat $1.50/pound for fruits and veggies!  Our first box was filled with green beans, squash, zucchini, turnip greens, cabbage and green onions. 

047

After scouring Pinterest for the best veggie recipes, I settled on a super easy green bean recipe.  Snapping the ends of the green beans reminded me of New Years Eve at Nana and PapPap’s house.  Every year my parents would drop my sisters and I at our grandparents house to spend the night with them and our cousins.  Before we celebrated, Nana would make us snap green beans (and LOTS of them) to prepare for New Year’s Day dinner.  And here’s the picture to prove it!

NYE with Nana

This was December 31, 1984.  Kelli and I were 8, Denni was 7 and Jimmy was 4 or 5 (she trained them young!)  It seemed like a pain then, but they are now sweet memories.

After snapping the green bean ends, coat with olive oil, salt and pepper in a bowl.  Spread out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  Bake on 400 for 20-25 minutes.  

002

They were crisp and delicious! 

2 comments:

  1. I love when our CSA box arrives! These green beans look delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete